CureDuchenne’s education and support programs drive real change for those with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. CureDuchenne offers multiple ways for healthcare professionals to access quality courses on Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
Duchenne is the most common, terminal, childhood, genetic illness and at the same time is likely the most misunderstood condition. Recent research has explained Duchenne more precisely including etiology, pathophysiology and treatment. As one of the primary treatment options for those who have Duchenne, it is vital that therapists have a thorough understanding of the disease and deliver appropriate treatments based on this current evidence.
Ideal for PT, PTA, OT, COTA, SLP APE, this course will explain the incidence, etiology, pathophysiology, progression and the stages of mobility of Duchenne. Therapy treatment, orthopedic management, activity modification and equipment selection will be covered.
“Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy: Current understanding and treatment”
By the end of each course, the participant will be able to:
- Correctly identify the 4 main medical tests which lead to a diagnosis of Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
- Correctly identify the most common type of genetic mutation which leads to Duchenne.
- Identify the current stage of Duchenne the patient is experiencing.
- Correctly identify 3 body systems affected by Duchenne.
- To correctly choose 2 appropriate treatment interventions.
- Prescribe 3 appropriate exercises for individuals with Duchenne.
- Correctly list 4 other healthcare professionals whose expertise is part of the standard of care for patients with Duchenne.
Additional benefits for registrants:
- Large variety of resources for treatment and for patient distribution
- Direct (in-person and/or online) contact with course instructors
- Ongoing communication about advances in publications, research and drug development for Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Membership to the CureDuchenne healthcare professional’s online discussion group
Choose an in-person, live classroom course or an online web-based course
Live In-Person Course
These onsite courses are taught in a traditional continuing education classroom setting by one of our expert Duchenne instructors throughout the United States. Courses are 6.5 hours (not including breaks) and qualify for approximately 6.5 contact hours by state accreditation agencies. Check for current CE approval on the event page listed below.
These courses qualify physical therapists to become CureDuchenne Certified PTs. More info here:
- Early Registration $110 more than 2 weeks before course date
- Regular Registration $145 within 2 weeks of course
- Professional Student Rate $25
- CureDuchenne Physical Therapist Certification, additional $50
- Cancellation Policy: Full refund only if 30 days prior to the course date
In-Person Course Instructor
The online web-based course is available for those interested in learning more about Duchenne muscular dystrophy at their own pace and from anywhere they choose to. All you need is internet service, register for the course then begin the course on your own time. This course is approximately 4.5 hours and is has pre-approval in many states for PTs and PTAs. To check for your state approved contact hours, please go to: https://www.cureduchenne.org/online-course-accreditation/
These courses qualify physical therapists to become CureDuchenne Certified PTs. More info here: https://www.cureduchenne.org/physical-therapy/
- Registration fee of $75
Online Course Instructor
Interested in hosting a staff inservice on Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy?
Clinic Inservice course
“Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Update”
- Staff in-service course
- 2-hour Virtual course with accompanying references and resource documents followed up by 1 hour live Q&A with course instructor
- Cost: $225
- Pre-approval for CEUs is available at an additional cost
- Topics include multidisciplinary standards of care and implications of co-morbid conditions on therapy treatment followed by evidenced based evaluation and treatment and patient resources.
- Download brochure HERE
- This course is most appropriate for Allied Healthcare Professionals and clinic teams (Physical and Occupational Therapists, Speech Language Pathologists)
At the conclusion of this course, the participant will:
- Given a patient scenario which identifies the stage of the disease, correctly choose 2 options for evidence-based treatment interventions.
- Prescribe 3 appropriate exercises for individuals with Duchenne at various stages of the disease.
- Correctly list 2 co-morbid conditions which may be present and related to the Duchenne muscular dystrophy pathology.
- Identify 3 resources for additional Duchenne updates and assistance for patients.
CureDuchenne Professional Webinar Series
AN INTERACTIVE WEBINAR SERIES TO KEEP CLINICIANS INFORMED ON THE LATEST AND IMPORTANT DUCHENNE MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY TOPICS
The CureDuchenne series of 1-hour interactive webinars for allied healthcare professionals will take place multiple times throughout the year. These presentations are about pertinent Duchenne information, research or discoveries followed by group participation in Q&A. Discussions are welcomed and encouraged.
Duchenne muscular dystrophy is a rare disease but none of the therapy professionals need to feel that they are alone in researching and treating individuals with this diagnosis. The CureDuchenne therapist network is extensive and always growing. Our hope is that we are Duchenne therapy colleagues and mentors for each other.